Javascript Menu by Deluxe-Menu.com
On the First Anniversary of His Episcopal Consecration, Bishop John Celebrates Divine Liturgy in St. Nicholas Cathedral

On Saturday, August 1, the feast of the uncovering of the relics of St. Seraphim of Sarov and the first anniversary of his Episcopal Consecration, His Grace Bishop John of Naro-Fominsk celebrated the Divine Liturgy in St. Nicholas Cathedral in New York City. His Grace was co-served by cathedral clergy.

After Holy Communion, the clergy proceeded to sing the magnification to St. Seraphim before the Holy Icon of the saint that miraculously streamed myrrh in August of 2011 during Hurricane Irene. Afterwards, His Grace delivered a sermon to all the faithful. On behalf of the clergy and parishioners of St. Nicholas Cathedral, Abbot Nicodemus (Balyasnikov) presented Bishop John with a bouquet of flowers in honor of the anniversary of his Episcopal Consecration. 

***

History of the Myrrh-Streaming Icon of St. Seraphim of Sarov

On August 29, 2011, following the celebration of the Divine Liturgy for the after-feast of the Dormition of the Holy Theotokos during Hurricane Irene, a parishioner of the cathedral Emilia Vashenko noticed myrrh appearing on the icon of St. Seraphim of Sarov in one of the classes of the Sunday School. Other witnesses of the miracle included Michael Krochta (grandson of the ever-memorable Archbishop Dositheus) and Zoya Michell.

 With the blessing of the then-Administrator of the Patriarchal Parishes in the USA, His Eminence Archbishop Justinian, Abbot Nicodemus (Balyasnikov) brought the Holy Icon to the Cathedral where a Moleben to St. Seraphim was served, after which the icon was brought to the Holy Altar. For two days, the myrrh continued to stream.

This icon was written and given to the cathedral by Prince Alexander Mihailovich Putyatin sometime during 1949. He was a devout Orthodox Christian, who served on the Provisional Council of the Moscow Patriarchate in the USA established by the ever-memorable Metropolitan Makary (Illyinsky) on October 2 1952. He served as a publisher of the Journal of the Moscow Patriarchate in North America One Church; he wrote numerous icons, many of which were given to St. Nicholas Cathedral.

Alexander Mihailovich served as the iconographer of Sts. Peter and Paul Church in Manchester, New Hampshire. His father, Alexander Sergeevich Putyatin served as the iconographer for the Cathedral of St. Alexander Nevsky on Ru-Daru in Paris, France.

Ancestors of prince Alexander Mihailovich frequently communicated with St. Seraphim. In 1903, when he was canonized by the Russian Orthodox Church, Emperor Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna requested that Mihail Sergeevich Putyatin (an ancestor of price Alexander) design the reliquary for the Saint’s relics.

With gratitude for his labors, Emperor Nicholas II gave Mihail Sergeevich Putyatin an icon of St. Seraphim with a piece of His Holy Relics and his epitrachelion which was kept with the family until the 1950’s. After the death of Alexander Mihailovich, his wife Maria donated the holy items to St. Nicholas Cathedral where they are kept until this present day. Further history is unfortunately, unknown. Maria Putyatinа then left the United States for Jerusalem where she became a monastic. 

First Anniversary of Bishop John's Episcopal Consecration

(9 images)

All Rights Reserved ©2021- Any Republication for the Glory of God is Permitted with the Reference:

"The Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in the USA - www.mospatusa.com"

 

Home | Back | Print | Top

Published with the blessing of His Grace Matthew
Bishop of Sourozh
Interim Administrator of the Patriarchal Parishes in the USA & Canada

Announcements

Archpastoral Letters
Today's Calendar
Recent Photos